Thursday, June 30, 2011

Old Stuff is Cool

So, as most of you know, I tend to procrastinate a bit.  Obviously, I didn't write anything yesterday on the 6 to 8 hours of plane and train rides that I had.  I will write a bit about what we did today, and after I get done with that I'll get on Meg's computer and post some more of our pictures from Sorrento, Capri, and today.

So, today I started out arguing with Marriott (it all got resolved by this evening though, so it's all good).  After that we got on our hour long subway ride (we made sure to mind the gap) to St. Paul's Cathedral.  You may remember this name from the first time we were here.  We actually toured around the outside last time, but we were recommended by some cool old dude on the plane last night to go in.

It was welllll worth it.  They had a very modern guided tour on i-touches that led you all around the cathedral.  We went every where and listened to every section we could about all of the history...it was quite enjoyable.  We also made our way up some 600 stairs to the very top of the famous dome on St. Paul's Cathedral, and got some great pictures from up there.  This was definitely one of my top 5 favorite things we did on the trip.

After that we walked outside and saw a policeman and a policewoman on horses.  So, we went over and Megan started up a long conversation with the lady cop about all kinds of horse stuff (it sounded cool, but I understand Italian better then what they were saying).  What I did notice, when the horse wasn't trying to bite me, was the other police officers standing beside the mounted officers.  They were literally looking for tourists that seemed lost and asking if they needed directions around the city.  If that wasn't enough, they also had about 15 cases of water in their van, and were handing them out to the tourists as the walked by.  I'm not sure if this happens regularly, or if it was a one time thing, either way it was really cool to see.

After that we got back on the underground (we made sure to mind the gap, again) to get to the British Museum.   It was cool.  We got to see the actual Rosetta Stone, which had a lot of stuff on it I didn't understand.  I'm not sure how you can learn like 15 different languages from it (I know I'm funny, no need for compliments later).  Other then that though, nothing really stood out.  Basically, it was okay, but nothing special.

We then went to an "English Pub."  I put it in parenthesis because Megan and I have now been to 4 different "English Pubs" in London that were all quite a long distance apart, and they all had the same menu.  I'm not sure why...I'm assuming they have the same owner, but the one we ate at today was probably 25 miles away from one of the ones we ate at last time with the same menu.  They all have different names, and different historical plaques hanging outside telling the history of the pub.  Basically, they all seem like authentic English Pub's from the outside, but then when you walk in they have a very similar beer selection and the exact same Menu.  Anyway, we ate some good fish and chips and left it at that.

After visiting a couple of tourist shops we got back on the underground (carefully minding the gap, of course) and sat for about an hour in a car that was approximately 1,394,197 degrees...Celsius.

We then hopped on a bus back to the Marriott.  We are now getting ready to grab our last dinner (tear) in Europe, and pack a bit before we head to bed.  We'll then catch our flight early tomorrow morning and head back towards Amurica.

I'll save the "points of interest" section for a later date.

Cheers,
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment