Thursday, June 23, 2011

Wine makes everything feel Fine!

Bonjouno!

We planned on waking at about 9 this morning to start exploring Rome.  Of course we both woke up around 11 and had to start from there.

We started out by going to a bar right beside the Colliseo and having a panini and sprite (okay, Megan had a panini and a sprite...I had 2 panini's and 3 sprite's.  You get the picture, though)

After that we went to the Colliseo and took a audio tour.  This worked out perfectly for us because we got to do our own thing and at the same time get a lot of information on what we were looking at.  As I mentioned yesterday, thinking about the events that took place at the Colliseo thousands of years ago just blows my mind.  To say I was a little giddy, and in complete awe at the same time is an understatement.  I felt like I was walking into an NFL game...except when people saw what I did thousands of years ago, the winner lived, and the loser died.

After that we hopped on the subway to get to the Vatican.  I'm telling you though, they hate subway maps more then they hate street signs here in Rome.  We wandered around aimlessly for about 20 minutes before just guessing a line.  Once we got to the platform they had a map there.  Seems like the most logical place, right?

Anyway, we got to the Vatican and were immediately stopped by a promoter for a tourist group.  This was the best thing that could have ever happened to us--mainly because there was a really long line to get in and we showed up about 20 minutes before they stopped letting guests in.

We ended up with a really knowledgeable tour guide who was raised in California, and has lived in Italy for over 15 years studying European art.  It was good because we could understand him, and it was even better because of all his knowledge of all the sculptures, paintings, and the overall layout of the Vatican.

After that we guessed a subway line and made our way to the "Fontana de Trevi" or the "Trevi Fountain" for those of you who don't speak Romanese as good as I do.  It was very pretty, but once again there were no signs (go figure), so we took a couple pictures and headed on to dinner.

We ate at an authentic Italia restaurante, and I spoke perfect (terrible) Spanish to the waitress most of the night.  It was very good though--we sat outside at this nice little Italiano restaurante on an old cobblestone road and enjoyed some pizza, pasta, and wine.

...I'll take a second to tell you how the title of this post got started.  After we got to the restaurante Megan was talking about how much better her sinus infection felt.  This occurred after a couple of glasses of wine, and you all know how funny I am...(figure it out, and if you don't I'm not sure we can be friends anymore).

Anyhow, after that we got a bit of Gelato (Megan) and a Peroni (myself) and guessed a subway line to make it back to our awesome hotel.

Now we're sitting on our terrace enjoying a 5 Euro bottle of wine that tastes like a $50 bottle of wine in Amurica.

Just a couple of side notes from Rome:

1) If you still have your student ID and you're under the age of 26...bring your student ID.

2) Pringles are what you eat in Europe.  I saw Pringles vending machines in London and Dublin bars...and then in Rome I saw street vendors with massive amounts of Pringles...which made me realize how much European's love Pringles.

3) Apparently people over here hate baseball...I was in Rome and asked to check the Braves score...and I got the response, "Oh, you like the sissy sport then, do ya?"...so for all you "futbol" fans, life is good

4) After that we saw a lot...Life is good!

Anyway, I hope everybody enjoys it!  Bonjourno!

No comments:

Post a Comment